Pages

September 4, 2010

Plodding for God

I'm currently reading Plan B by Pete Wilson, one of the pastors at Cross Point Church in Nashville, TN. He recently recommended a blog post calling for "fewer revolutionaries and a few more plodding visionaries." (Which, yes, makes this a blog post recommending a blog post that recommended blog post... but anyway...)

Here is a bit of what he said:

There are times I get so frustrated with the church that I just want to scream and walk away. Generally it’s because I see something in her that reminds me of something glaringly obvious in my own life.  Trying to consistently lead a church to be everything God has called her to be is the biggest challenge of my life. So thankful for all the “plodders” God has put around me.

You can read the rest of the article here.

So often we see people react out of emotion or people who jump in line because of the latest, greatest fad. But following God HAS GOT TO BE MORE THAN THAT! Those things (emotion or the crowd) may get our attention, but those won't last or carry us into discipleship to Jesus. That has to come from a CONVICTION of God working in us and working on us. That has to come from complete TRUST IN JESUS.

Now don't mistake "plodding" for settling for mediocrity or being lazy in our faith. There are times when our faith calls us to sprint! And God ALWAYS deserves our best efforts. This is more about a steady consistency in our willingness and obedience to follow God.

And I am so thankful to have people around me in my life that are willing to "plod" along for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment